A Journal of chimeras (brief postings that vanish)

Copyright Mel. White, 2011-2020

Thursday, September 24, 2015

A thousand miles up the Nile with Amelia Peabody and Dr. Zahi Hawass

For the adults reading this -- right now, I'm writing for the children that I've invited to follow my adventures.  Deal with it.  :) 

  I'm giving only a few people the link to this blog where I will be posting daily updates about our trip to Germany and to Egypt.  I won't be talking about it or linking these posts until AFTER I come back (October 20th) because my Facebook page reaches a lot of people and it's just good sense to not tell the whole world that there's nobody at your home.  But, if I'm sharing this URL with you, it means that I'm inviting your comments and questions and suggestions.

     I can only take a limited number of pictures (and some places don't allow photos) and I can't write about EVERYthing.  But I'd like to know what you'd like to see more of or hear more about and I will try to include that as I write my daily blogs.  And thanks to the magic of Internet (which I should have all the way), I will be posting on Facebook and other places just as if I was still at home in Dallas.


Trip itinerary


Sept 30 - leave for Frankfurt, Germany! 

October 1 (9 am!)  arrive in Frankfurt, Germany.  We will pick up a car and drive to Gelnhausenthe town where I lived from about 1959 to 1963 (so I spent almost 8 years of my childhood in Germany)  We will have a German lunch and see Frederick Barbarossa's old castle and then drive back to Frankfurt.  
October 2 - an all day bus tour to Neuschwanstein Castle and to the Linderhof Palace.  These are amazing places, and I can't wait to show Bruce!
October 3 - resting in the morning, then at 1 pm we do a dinner cruise of Frankfurt and the Rhine Valley and have a wine tasting as well!

 October 4 - at 3 pm (Frankfurt time, which is about 6 hours ahead of US time) we'll be in the air and lying down to Cairo, Egypt.  We will be on the Archaeological Paths tour.

October 5 - we will go to Saqqara (I'm looking forward to seeing the pyramid of Djoser) and meet Dr. Zahi Hawass, who is probably the most famous living archaeologist.
October 6, we will fly to the town of Luxor and get on board our cruise ship.  The best way to tour Egypt is by boat, just like the ancient Egyptians did.
October 7 - Karnak (I'm probably going to use up half my memory cards here!)
October 8 - Edfu
October 9 - Aswan
October 10 - Abu Simbel
October 11 - Kom Ombo
October 12 - Luxor Temple (with Dr. Zahi Hawass)
October 13 - flying back to Cairo, going to the Pyramid Builders Tombs with Dr. Hawass (this is one that I'm REALLY eager to see!)
October 14 - Giza plateau (sphinx and pyramids) with Dr. Hawass
October 15 - Dashur and Memphis and a lecture with Dr. Hawass
October 16 - tour of Cairo and the famous Egyptian museum (they will not let us take photos inside the museum, however.)
October 17 - Alexandria, the city of Cleopatra!  We'll go by the modern Library of Alexandria and to the site of the famous Lighthouse

October 18 - back to GermanyOctober 19 - exploring Frankfurt and maybe going to Bad Nauheim, where I lived from 1952-1956 or so.October 20 - back to Texas.

...and the day after I get back, I've got to go teach!  

So if you're curious about something or if there's pictures you'd like to see, let me know!  The adventure begins next Wednesday!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I got a few questions but they aren't that good.
1: Have you been to Germany or Egypt prior to this trip?
2: how long was the place ride? (if you were in a plane)
3: Would you go again?
4: how different is the food from America and what was your favorite place to eat?
5: Did you go to see any pyramids?
6: did you go to any museums if so what was the best thing you saw?
7: What was the first thing you noticed was different from America?

Rhonorra said...

So many questions I don't know where to start! 1. How did you come to spend years of your childhood in Germany? 2. Is the German portion of your trip pure nostalgia or are you going to see all-new things? 3. Can you post pics of Neuchwanstein? (I'm hopelessly jealous, always wanted to go there!) 4. What is the German food like? I've heard food in the south of germany is good and central German food is terrible, is that true or false? Okay I will stop now. XD Hope you are having lots of fun!